Oblivion patch coming soon?

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Oblivion patch coming soon?

Post by raz0red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:07 pm

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151253
We mentioned last week that Bethesda Softworks had nearly finished work on a patch addressing a number of issues with the PC and Xbox 360 versions of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and the studio finally released the PC update this afternoon.

The Xbox 360 one should be coming soon, too, but it takes a little longer for items to appear on Xbox Live versus Bethesda simply uploading a patch onto its own servers. We're waiting for a response from the company, but look for the Oblivion update on Microsoft's service in the next day or so, if not sooner.
So Tom, does this mean you are going to go out and re-purchase it?

I do have to say that it is sad that we have reached at time when patching is something we come to expect with console games...

--Chris.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:40 pm

I do have to say that it is sad that we have reached at time when patching is something we come to expect with console games...
Yes it is very sad I think we have microsoft to thank for this. [/quote]

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:23 am

If this game is patched and I can play it without lock-ups, I will consider buying it again and giving it another chance.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 am

But, I have to also say that the whole idea of games that are released with serious bugs, require patches and never work quite right -- that is why I don't really play games on the PC. Consoles used to be the place where you could just pop in a game and know it was going to work. In 10 years of playing PS1 and PS2 games, I never saw one as buggy as Oblivion, where the bugs made the game unplayable. I rarely noticed bugs at all, and when I did they were mostly cosmetic issues.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:34 pm

I know the bugs suck but at least Microsoft can patch the game. Instead of just having it be buggy and that be the end of it.

teal

Post by teal » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Which bugs did you run into that made it unplayable for you? I'm taking a break from Oblivion at the moment, but I believe I had somewhere around 80hrs logged last time I had played, and I really hadn't run into anything that "broke" the game. The game crashed on me a few times, which was annoying but it wasn't excessive (i'd say it's locked up around 5 times in 80hrs).
I know there are some bugs that allow you to get infinite gold, but that's really the player's choice to take advantage of that.

Of course, "back in the day" console games weren't patchable. But a lot has changed. Besides just the switch to online enabled consoles, the scope of a particular game has widened dramatically. I honestly don't think it would be feasible for a company to release a game as ambitious as Oblivion completely bug free. It's just not going to happen. They have a responsibility to make sure the software they release is not "broken" but i think to some degree console gamers are going to have to learn to accept patches.

Now, having said all that, I definitely agree that QA testing needs to improve dramatically, because of cases of major releases shipping with game-breaking bugs. For example, I think Halo 2 was shipped out with an essentially broken multiplayer that wasn't patched up for a number of months after release. Sure lots of people played the multiplayer when it was released. I was one of them (and I still play a lot of Halo 2). But, we played it because that's all we had. The core gameplay was there, but the code was so full of holes that you could hardly play a game without someone taking advantage of one exploit or another. Even now, after multiple patches the multiplayer is still plagued by exploits (i'm not talking about hacks/modders).

The Halo 2 bugs I consider unacceptable. From my own experience in Oblivion, I found nothing at all that was more than "a little annoying". To tell the truth, I'm still amazed that they were able to release Oblivion so close to the console launch in such a good state.

I like this topic of console patches and whatnot. It's especially relevant right now given yesterday's release of the dashboard update. There's a lot to talk about here. I'll probably try to go into it more in my show this week. Might I suggest that you guys touch on this in your next show as well? I'd like to hear where your discussion goes.

-teal.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:08 pm

R3V3N4N7 wrote:I know the bugs suck but at least Microsoft can patch the game. Instead of just having it be buggy and that be the end of it.
The fact that they can patch it lets them be lax on the testing.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:51 pm

teal wrote: I like this topic of console patches and whatnot. It's especially relevant right now given yesterday's release of the dashboard update. There's a lot to talk about here. I'll probably try to go into it more in my show this week. Might I suggest that you guys touch on this in your next show as well? I'd like to hear where your discussion goes.
It is definitely something we have on the list to discuss in an upcoming show. It probably won't be our next show because we are already researching those topics. So, we will probably hit on it the following show (episode 9).

I feel almost the same way about patching as I feel about digital distribution. To me it is making console gaming way more complex. For example, with respect to this patch, Joe Blow who bought the core system is probably hosed. Or, think about the person who doesn't have Xbox Live, now they are hosed as well. I just look back, and console gaming has always been cool because it was truly, "plug and play". Not anymore....

There are just so many negatives to digital distribution that it really urks (sp?) me. For example, I have a friend who lives way out in the boondocks, well, he wants to play Geometry Wars. Can he go to the store and buy it? Heck no... that just sucks. Sure, I could get it for him, put it on a memory card, etc. But, what a pain in the neck.

Also, I think about the ability to keep these games and play them some day in the future. We are moving to a time where games are truly transient. Experiences that we had one time, and they will be lost forever as we move through future game console generations. To me, that just sucks.

Digital distribution is great for the producers of games. It is cheaper, they don't have to have the game be perfect out of the box, they don't have to deal with retailers, etc.

As far as them not being able to fully debug Oblivion out of the gate, I don't buy that. Having worked in software for going on 12 years now, I can tell you that the developers know there are bugs when they ship. It is completely driven by marketing. There are certain dates that must be hit or "the window" will pass, and you will have to wait until the next opportunity. I can't tell you how many times we "shipped" a product with known bugs. We immediately started working on a patched version. My guess is that Bethesda already knew about these bugs, but they decided it was worth it to hit "the window". This is something that wouldn't have been possible in the past as there was no mechanism to post-patch console games.

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:24 am

> (i'd say it's locked up around 5 times in 80hrs)

For me it was more like Oblivion locked up 5 times in 1 hour. I talked about it a little bit on one of our earlier podcasts. It made the game so frustrating -- impossible to make any real progress or complete quests -- that I returned it and got my money back.

I like your idea of talking about dashboard updates and patches in general on an upcoming show. We should do that.

raz0red
Site Admin

Oblivion Patch Causing Issues

Post by raz0red » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:48 am

Hold the phones Tom, looks like it isn't time to go buy it again...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151340
"Far, far less hitching than before and the framerate is smoother on the eye. Still a bit sketchy towards busier areas, but no-where near as bad as it was before, particularly at Oblivion gates or when they are in the distance. The dreaded "loading" message appears far, far less," said squarejawhero on the official message boards.

Another issue appears to be random lock-ups. Not frame rate hiccups, but actual game-breaking freezes. Reports from users, however, are scattered, mixed and full of confusion over whether the issues are being caused by the patch or sheer randomness.

Some workaround solutions have already started appearing, however. Clearing your Xbox 360's hard drive cache reportedly fixes the loading issue, but if you aren't scouring the message boards, how are you supposed to put two and two together?

Even though the patch cleans up a number of glitches quests, many are still upset because it doesn't solve their existing issues. If you've already run into and experienced a glitch quest, there's a good chance the patch will do nothing to fix it; the patch can't fix contaminated saves. Consequently, Bethesda employees have been recommending fans start new characters if they want to experience these quests.
Oh man, that doesn't sound good.

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:58 pm

Ugh. Horrible. Start over with a new character when these issues come up? That is a joke.