Oblivion Bugs

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
LimitZer0

Oblivion Bugs

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:59 pm

This is common with all of Bethesda Softworks RPGs and patches always get released to fix these bugs over time. The game is way to huge for testers to find every single bug. I guess they could if they put it off for 2 more years, but they chose to release it and find all major bugs within a month from everyone complaining. There are a few bugs in Oblivion but compared to previous games it is not bad at all. Morrowind had many bugs, Dagger Fall had a bug where you couldnt even beat the game! Pirates of the Carribean had bugs (This was the worst for bugs IMO). I have played 30 hours and it has frozen up my Xbox 5 times. Since I just got the 360 a few weeks ago, it is one of the only games that I have played and I was thinking it could be a heat issue. I have heard people complain about GRAW freezing too.

I also heard that many 360s have a piece of plastic in between the CPU and heatsink that they forgot to remove and this causes many heat issues. Too bad the only way to find out is to void your warranty or wait until your CPU is destroyed.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:12 pm

Maybe it is a cache issue...

Here is what Bethesda said in their forums about "Long Pauses with Harddrives" (Can I call freezing a long pause with the harddrive?).
Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) game data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.

To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one. Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.

Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data.
Many games on the original Xbox had cache issues that would actually prevent the console from being used unless it was sent back to MS. A lot of games would show that the disc was dirty but it was a cache issue. I actually had to modify my friends just to clear the cache on his HDD to get his Xbox working. I also bought a couple of "broken" xboxes on ebay and all I had to do was clear the cache and they worked perfectly.

Cache problems on a console is ridiculous to me. I don't know who to blame more, MS or the game companies.

Anyway, try clearing your cache and see if it helps with freezing for anyone having these problems.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu May 25, 2006 8:03 pm

not cache its just the game but i still want to play it badly!!

maybe when i can afford a 360
OL' DIRTY BASTARD