Rockstar Table Tennis

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
raz0red
Site Admin

Rockstar Table Tennis

Post by raz0red » Sat May 27, 2006 10:20 am

I picked this one up recently. At first I was a little underwhelmed, it just didn't seem like there was much to the game. But, I have to say this game really shines online. It is extremely fast paced, and it is far from a button masher. It is all about using different techniques, being able to determine how to reverse the current shot, positioning, etc. A very simple game, but very difficult to master.

I also really like the use of force-feedback to determine how close your shot will be to the edges of the table. It is really one of the first times I can recall where force feedback was as essential gameplay element. I wish more companies would come up with more innovative uses as well.

Anyone on here have it yet?

It would be great to set up some private matches with listeners of the podcast. So far I am pretty much getting spanked online, although I have been able to squeak out a couple of wins.

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Wed May 31, 2006 7:12 pm

It is the next thing on my Gamefly list, so I should get it soon. It will be fun to try playing online.

teal

I've had my eye out for ya...

Post by teal » Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 pm

but haven't seen you online since I got back into town. I haven't had time to play online yet, but I'll give it a whirl if I see you around.

The game does seem pretty simple on the surface, but it really has a lot of depth to it. Once you get into it, it starts to feel like a one on one fighter game. I've been really impressed with the small touches in the game. Audio is top notch, even down to the crowd noises. The models are gorgeous, and I love the way the clothing behaves as the models move around.

When you get down to it though, I think they really should have stripped the game way down, and offered it on XBL Arcade. It's the kind of game that doesn't really need all the extra polish, because the core gameplay is so accessible and demanding at the same time. And it's definitely the kind of game I would like to just play for a couple matches on a whim without having to change discs.

In terms of value, even the "budget" 39.99 price seems a bit high. But the production values are excellent and it seems to have a lot of potential on XBL.

As a bonus, while I was in Burbank this weekend, I saw it for about 30 bucks at a Fry's. Unfortunately, I had already paid 40 for it at EB. But I did pick up Rise of Legends for $35 at that same Fry's.

-teal.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:32 am

Yeah, I totally agree that the game seems a bit overpriced (even at $39.99) for what you get with the game. I think $29.99 would have been the ideal price, but I am guessing it is selling fairly well even at the higher price.

I have heard a lot of people talk about the fact that they think it should be an Xbox Live Arcade game. I think, that would be great as well, but isn't feasible. The issue is that Microsoft requires all Xbox Live Arcade games fit on a memory card. Here is a recent inteview w/ Microsoft Xbox Live Arcade Group Manager Greg Canessa.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsart ... chid=10219
FiringSquad: All of the Xbox Live Arcade games can fit onto a Xbox 360 memory card. Are there any plans to release games for Arcade that will be bigger and will require the Xbox 360 hard drive to play?

Greg Canessa: Our current requirement is that every Xbox Live Arcade title fits on a memory card. We do not have any plans at this time to change that requirement.
With all of the character models, environments, etc. there is no way that they could fit all of that on a memory card (current max being 64mb I believe). Although, I have heard that they are going to be releasing larger memory cards soon, so maybe we will see an increase in larger games on XBLA. But still, probably no way to get this to fit on a memory card. This is sort of the price we pay for Microsoft releasing a "core" system. Sigh.

As an aside, I heard on another podcast that they thought Rockstar should remove some of the frills (unlockables, tournaments, etc.) of the game and make it smaller. Heh, if they think that is what makes this game big, they are way off the mark. It is the models that make the game big. All of the other stuff doesn't add much size at all.

I have been pretty much heads down preparing for our next podcast. So, as soon as we record (Fri night), I will be back online and ready to challenge ya!

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:24 pm

I havent played it yet I usualy shrug off any game that doesnt interest me because my pay is not so big
(5 dollers a week) so when i get 60$ which i rarely save up that much i usualy spend it on budget games

From what u guys said I will be sure and try to rent it
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:53 pm

I got Table Tennis and it is pretty fun. I played an online game against Chris and he easily won. I need to play offline and learn the strategy. I like the way the characters' facial expression changes based on what's happening in the game.