desensitized

Forum to discuss general gaming topics
msaeger

desensitized

Post by msaeger » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:15 pm

So I have been hearing a ton of talk about Gears of war the last couple days and some on the 1up show jokingly said something about becoming desensitized to violence from playing these kind of games.

I play a lot of games but not many that would be considered violent or gruesome but I still check out trailers for those kind of games. There is just something about the Gears of war stuff that I can't even stand to watch. Maybe it's the sound I don't know every scene ends with some blood curdling scream of a guy getting cut up with a chainsaw.

I can respect the concepts in the game like the cover system sounds cool but I don't think I could play it and if I forced myself I would be afraid of becoming desensitized.

I'm not a Jack Thompson supporter and don't think the game shouldn't be made or anything but eew I don't see how people can play stuff like that. This is the first game that really made me uneasy so I can't even imagine what they will come up with next after people get desensitized to this.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:21 am

Yeah, the game definitely isn't for everyone. But, I sort of look at it this way. I enjoy watching horror movies, sci-fi flicks, etc. For the same reason I guess I enjoy games that have a similar feel to them. I don't think becoming desensitized is really an issue for me (I am not sure about others), because I still have a clear separation in my head about what is real and what is not (hollywood props, video games, etc.).

To be honest I have trouble watching all of those makeover shows, when they are performing plastic surgery, etc. on television. Anytime one of those comes on, I have to look away. The difference is that I know that is real. Chain sawing an alien, or watching the Texas Chain Saw Masacre movies doesn't give me the same feel because I know it is all fake.

I am really looking forward to Gears. I am hoping it isn't being severly over-hyped and delivers a truly next gen gaming experience.

As a side note, I hear you can turn down the violence level. Not sure what they means for the chain saw. I am guessing it just removes the blood and maybe some cursing.

--Raz.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm completely the opposite. I like the surgery shows and don't like the horror movies. I think it's the violence that bugs me. With the surgery shows they aren't violent they are helping people.
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:08 pm

I just got Gears of War yesterday, and have started to play it. I'm looking forward to some co-op play with Chris. Anyway, in general it doesn't seem to me to be more violent and gross than the average shooter. The graphics are more realistic than most games, but this is balanced by the fact that you are fighting aliens and not humans. That makes it less real and less disturbing. I was bothered by Hitman: Blood Money as I said on the show, and I could not play it because it seemed too real, like a "murder simulator." But GOW is just science fiction / horror.

Tom
[/i]

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:22 am

I know what you mean Steam. Playing games like GoW or Quake lend themselves to Sci-Fi horror & violence. Surprisingly there is a difference. If they ain't from earth, they're toast. (maybe thats why aliens haven't visited us yet...)

I can slaughter nasties all day long in Quake or Doom but I find myself consciously trying to avoid killing innocent bystandards while playing Saints Row.

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:16 pm

Now after seeing more coverage of gears than damn near any other game I really think it's just the chainsaw part that creeps me out. When they showed gears on on the spot and the 1up show they didn't use the chainsaw and you guys are right it isn't any worse than any other game. Or maybe I am becoming desensitized to violence :)

They must be selling a ton of this game I have yet to see one on a store shelf but then I haven't seen viva pinata either :)

Doesn't matter anyway because it's only seven more days 'till Zelda :)
Wii Wii Wii

Matt

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:15 am

ms how can u not want to start up a chainsaw a chop a guy clean in half with his blood and guts all over your screen. entertainment dont get better then that
OL' DIRTY BASTARD