Five That Fell

Forum to discuss all things related to retro computers. Commodore 64, Apple ][, Atari ST, Amiga, etc.
raz0red
Site Admin

Five That Fell

Post by raz0red » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:06 pm

There is a very cool article that just got posted over at, "Next Generation".

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... mitstart=0

It is about 5 companies that changed the industry, and then disappeared.
This article is a tribute to five fallen icons of the videogame industry – developers and publishers who made their mark, changed the world, then vanished into history. Sometimes they went with a bang; sometimes a whimper. All, however, leave a hole that will never entirely be filled. The industry would be very different, were they all with us today.
The companies mentioned are:

1) Atari Games
2) Origin Systems
3) Sierra On-Line
4) Black Isle Studios
5) Looking Glass Studios

It is definitely worth a read.

--Raz.

Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:07 pm

The passing of Looking Glass is, for my money, the most heart-breaking PC game story of woe. Looking Glass were making THE BEST games for the PC during their tenure. And to see what happened with Deus Ex: Invisible War just adds salt to those wounds. Thief: Deadly Shadows mitigates this a bit, but still. Poor Warren Spector... but at least he rode on top of the wave for a little while. More than what most of us can say.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:32 am

Besides Atari, the Black Isle Studios demise was most heartbreaking for me. The Baldur's Gate series along with the Icewind Dale story gave birth to some of my most memorable moments in RPGing. Haven't heard of Obsidian. Guess I've been out of the loop! Going to check in on that!
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight