And Then There Were Six...

Forum for our Podcast
iamsjn

And Then There Were Six...

Post by iamsjn » Wed May 24, 2006 6:44 am

I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when I saw that Episode 6 was out!!! My glee quickly dashed when you all began talking about whether the show would go on or not. Don't do this to us!! You guys have such a great thing going! Your podcasts are at such high quality that you could actually afford to scale back a bit and not spend so much time on them and STILL have a fantastic show!

If there is anything I can do to help just let me know!

Now about the show - Loving the format although to be honest, I loved it before! I personally like the Rants! Replacing your data with a blank disk when backing up would have been a fantastic rant. I think all of us Apple II / Commodore64 / IBM ST owners cried more than one tear because of that!!

I know that XBOX360, Playstation and Nintendo are all the rage these days, but there is just something special about the retro flavor of your show. There are Waaaaay too many console gaming podcasts out there and having a show that revisits the glory days of PC's and gaming (both console & arcade) really sets you apart from the rest of the muck. Don't lose sight of that special touch you guys put to the podcast! Looking forward to hearing about the California Extreme Classic Video Game Show!!

The Retro Respect segment was nothing short of fantastic! the Apple II holds a special place in my heart. I think the main difference between the games of old and todays games (other than graphics) is gameplay. Those games were actually fun to play! That's why they are still popular today. You guys hit the nail on the head. The only thing I wished I could have heard was the mention of my favorite ALL TIME GAME - The Bard's Tale. Want an Idea for a show?

Interview The Bard's Tale designer, Michael Cranford!! I know alot of people that would love to hear from Mike again!

Just wanted to chime in and tell you that you guys did it again! You made my week!
THANK YOU!!

Shawn
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Wed May 24, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to be back doing the show again. You're right about Bard's Tale, that was a great game but we forgot about it. We will have to do a follow-up on that.

Tom

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 am

Thanks for the nice words, I am sorry we scared you. It was just a tough go for the last month or so for me, and I know the other guys were very busy as well (They were getting a release out at work, moving, etc.). But, I can say that we were definitely able to put together the most recent episode much quicker than in the past. For one thing, we finally have the right equipment, know how to more efficiently edit, and finally (just yesterday) figured out a good way to do the conversion to MP3 via LAME without the metallic artifacts. So, doing shows should be much easier going forward.

I can't say how many times I copied over my data disk when performing the swaps. It would have been so easy to put the little write protect tape over the corner, but for some reason I never did it. Another 5 1/4 floppy memory for me is that when I didn't have a punch (to make it multi sided) I would use scissors. That made for some very odd looking notches in some of my disks... heh. A couple of times I cut write into the disk portion... sigh.

Bard's Tale? Never heard of it.... heh... just kidding. The sad part is that is one of the games that I bought for my Apple II. I have the original packaging and everything. It is a great, great game. It would be great to get Michael Cranford on the show. Although, I don't think he is much into video games these days. He has gone on to focus on Biblical study, and spreading Christianity. However, I will definitely dig and see what I can find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cranford

Thanks again for the kind words. We just hope you guys enjoy listening as much as we enjoy creating the shows.

--Raz.

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Mon May 29, 2006 12:42 pm

I really liked the latest show and I am glad to hear you are going to continue. I agree with the original poster in that you cover topics that very few other podcasts touch. Listening to the show gives me a lot of "oh yeah, I remember that" moments. I enjoy listening to conversations related to my earlier gaming days just as much as what is the hot topic now.

I would also like to comment on a segment from Episode 6 where you were discussing playing classic games on the Xbox 360 through the Live Arcade. To me this is a HUGE feature. Live Arcade will allow me to play some of the games that I cherished on the older systems that I no longer have the ability to play. Personally, I am looking forward to playing Contra and can't wait to play a side scrolling version of Sonic. Now, If I could only convince them to put Ultima 3 on there from the C64.

Anyway, I enjoy the show and the format. Keep up the good work. Who knows, maybe I will take you up on your offer in the future to discuss what we are playing now.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:50 am

Totally agree Zilch. Classic gaming ala' Xbox 360 Live Arcade would be huge! Could you imagine playing Gauntlet online??? "The Wizard is about to die..." Very cool stuff!

SjN

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:27 am

Heh, in fact Gauntlet is one of the Xbox live games you can play today. I have played it with a group of friends online and it is a blast!

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:30 pm

OKAY.... Thats it.
I've been holding off but I can't take it anymore!

I'm going to get a 360!!!

SjN

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:52 pm

Yes, online Gauntlet is pretty fun on the 360. Online Joust has horrible lag though. I don't know why.