No fighting games! What?!

Forum for retro arcade discussions
R3V3N4N7

No fighting games! What?!

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:01 am

I stopped by this place I haven't been to in some time hoping to get my Street Fighter on. Come to find out they got rid of it. So I looked around only to find out that there were no other fighting games at this place. They like changed it from an arcade to like a Chuck E Cheese. So what do you guys think? Have you encouterd this as well or am I just unlucky?

raz0red
Site Admin

Re: No fighting games! What?!

Post by raz0red » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:34 am

R3V3N4N7 wrote:I stopped by this place I haven't been to in some time hoping to get my Street Fighter on. Come to find out they got rid of it. So I looked around only to find out that there were no other fighting games at this place. They like changed it from an arcade to like a Chuck E Cheese. So what do you guys think? Have you encouterd this as well or am I just unlucky?
I don't think you are unlucky. Most of the places that have video games have transformed into Chuck E Cheese - like arcades. A lot of the games now are the larger "interactive" style games (skateboarding, car driving, etc. etc.). It doesn't appear they like mixing the adult-oriented fighting games w/ the games that target younger kids.

As for Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, the only place that I know that still has those around here is Ground Kontrol which is a retro-arcade. The only other places that have fighting style games around here that I know of is a bowling alley that has a pretty decent adult-oriented arcade, and maybe a movie theatre or two.

My guess is that the arcades have to go to these gimmicky style games because those are really the only games that you can't play better versions of on the home consoles. As consoles have caught up with, and now surpassed arcade hardware it is getting much harder to convince people to spend money in the arcades. For younger kids, the draw is the gimmick, so I can see somewhat how they are thinking... although it still sucks.

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:26 pm

rev ur a unluckman today i got to play paper boy for some old console it took me forever to beat the damn thing
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:19 am

The Brass wrote:rev ur a unluckman today i got to play paper boy for some old console it took me forever to beat the damn thing
I don't think I ever beat Paperboy. I heard a pretty funny thing about that game at the Vintage Gaming show a couple of years ago. I guess Atari had this dude that used to be the harware "tester/breaker". So, when a game was being designed it was up to him to try to break the controls, etc. to simulate what would happen when kids got a hold of it. Well, on the first prototype of Paperboy, they had the handle bars (similar to the ones that would be on the final game, but much weaker). Well, this dude went up there, pulled up, and the handle bars popped right off of the machine. I guess he just took them and kept walking... without saying a thing... :D I guess it took them many revisions to develop the handle bars that made it into the final game.... Probably something you didn't really think about when playing the game, but maybe one of the more difficult things to develop for that game.

--Raz.

Ummagumma

Post by Ummagumma » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Paperboy was a pretty amazing game. Not only did the visuals look great using Atari's amazing System II hardware, but the game play itself had that quality where the game was very difficult to master, but if you got in the zone and used the Force, you could fly through it without a scratch. It was extremely creative and clever.

As for fighting games, I wish they'd all just disappear. I blame them for souring me on arcades... one day I walked into the local arcade and every single game was a freaking Street Fighter clone. Actually, I don't think it totally soured me on arcades, just video games. I became an avid pinball player after that I guess.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:28 pm

Ummagumma wrote:Paperboy was a pretty amazing game. Not only did the visuals look great using Atari's amazing System II hardware, but the game play itself had that quality where the game was very difficult to master, but if you got in the zone and used the Force, you could fly through it without a scratch. It was extremely creative and clever.

As for fighting games, I wish they'd all just disappear. I blame them for souring me on arcades... one day I walked into the local arcade and every single game was a freaking Street Fighter clone. Actually, I don't think it totally soured me on arcades, just video games. I became an avid pinball player after that I guess.

1000% agree Ummagumma.
While I like a great fighting game as much as the next guy, I like variety in my gaming even more. I too noticed an excessive amount of Tekken, Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom fighting games spawning up at the arcade. Not only were they clones, but more often than not, there were multiple machines with the exact same game on them!

Finding a Xevious machine was like finding a diamond in a sea of coal! My method of operation is to now immediately head to the darkest, dampest and gloomiest recesses (in other words, the back) of the arcade to find my G.O.R.F, Battlezone & Satan's Hollow.

SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight