AGD Interactive / Sierra

Forum to discuss all things related to retro computers. Commodore 64, Apple ][, Atari ST, Amiga, etc.
raz0red
Site Admin

AGD Interactive / Sierra

Post by raz0red » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:27 am

In the next podcast (Show #7), we are going to be looking back at Sierra On-Line. During my searches of the web, I happened upon AGD Interactive. These guys are incredible! They have completely remade (from the ground up) King's Quest I and II, and are working on the Quest for Glory series.

Not only have they remade them, but they enhanced the graphics, and added the nice mouse based interface.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games.php

Definitely worth the quick download to play them for a bit. I have been playing through King's Quest I and it has been a blast. It took a bit to remember how to get past the first screen. All you have to do is go to the left. argh...

As a side note, I am running them at 640x400 windowed. Even though it warns about this, it seems to work file, and overall looks the best.

If anyone gives them a shot, let me know what you think.

--Raz.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:11 am

Ahhhhh King's Quest!! Does that bring back memories or what!! Ya just gotta love those old VGA and SVGA graphics!! I miss that game.

Speaking of KQ, check this out. It's a fan built chapter in the King's Quest series. VERY nicely done! The group calls themselves Phoenix Online. They're just a bunch of fans from all over the world that volunteer their time and expertise in the creation of KING'S QUEST: THE SILVER LINING. The group touts - "The Silver Lining is the fan-designed ninth episode inspired by the King's Quest series."

It's a pretty impressive project!!

http://www.tsl-game.com/

Looking forward to the next podcast!!

SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Sierra games made me want to become a game developer. I was making text based adventure games in Basic at 12. I loved all the Space Quests (especially), Kings Quests, Police Quests (not the newer ones so much). I still have the boxes for a couple of these games.

I would love to see all those (graphical) adventure games in a bundle.

I also remember Sierra Magazine and them pushing soundcards... I don't remember the name of the game, but it had a wild west theme, it was the first game to have 3D sound I believe. Not DirectX 3D with 7.1 speakers, but when you got closer to a saloon the music from the saloon would get louder.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:28 pm

The only one I know of is, "Gold Rush!"

http://www.vintage-sierra.com/other/grv1.html

However, I think its sound was pretty basic. I remember playing this game though and it was a lot of fun.

--Raz.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:23 am

No, this was an early 90s game that I am thinking of...

Gold Rush was the shit, but the sounds were just beeps from the PC speaker. I beat that game many times.

dantebk

Post by dantebk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:24 am

I haven't played it, but I'd guess Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist? It was an Al Lowe game (creater of Leisure Suit Larry) that took place in the wild west... I've got to get my hands on that game, and Gold Rush too come to think of it...

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 pm

dantebk wrote:I haven't played it, but I'd guess Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist? It was an Al Lowe game (creater of Leisure Suit Larry) that took place in the wild west...
Yes! I totally remember that game, how could I have forgot it... sad. I would really like to find that game, it was pretty hilarious.

Freddy Pharkas Review

--Chris.