Microsoft Zune

Use this forum to post anything that is not video game related.
R3V3N4N7

Microsoft Zune

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:44 am

Microsoft set to launch iPod like player called the Zune.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_Zune/ ... 68976.html

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:00 am

I've been on many many boards where people are just raping this thing. I don't know if it's just Apple fan boys, Microsoft haters or both...

My opinion? I like the thing! Kudos to MS for pumping out a really nice product! Is it rough around the edges? yes. Will it be improved? Absolutely yes. Just look at the generation 1 iPods. They were clunky bricks. Those too were slowly refined into what they are today.

Out of the shoot, the Zune will have some definate leaps over the iPod like Wi-Fi and (from what I hear) no or limited DRM as well as the ability to swap content with other Zunes (NICE). I'll wait until I get my hands on one before I start seriously critiquing it.

For now? Nice Job Microsoft! Anyone hear what they will be are asking for these?

--SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:29 pm

looks pretty sweet to me if u were able to swap movies and music that would make it way better then the ipod
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:29 pm

looks pretty sweet to me if u were able to swap movies and music that would make it way better then the ipod
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:30 pm

wtf thats a crazy glitch i just double posted :o ?
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:00 pm

I found an article critical of the Zune's DRM:
...recipients of shared songs will only be able to listen to them three times or for three days, whichever comes first. It sort of sounds like a really bad tire warranty.

Zune accomplishes this amazingly stupid feat by wrapping shared music in a proprietary layer of DRM, regardless of what format the original content may be in. I

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:18 am

One of the things that worries me about the Zune is that multiple manufacturers will be creating the hardware. It reminds me a lot of the Windows CE devices. It just makes it more confusing for the consumer because they have to figure out which device to get based on quality, warranty, capabilities, etc. In other words, you can't just walk into an Apple store and buy one...

--Raz.

PristineSteam

Post by PristineSteam » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:46 am

Apparently the Zune install has some interesting background images for errors. Also, someone has made a funny spoof of the Zune ads.

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:39 pm

I don't like to pass judgement on new products but I've got a strange feeling that the Zune is doomed. There is just no way to stop the behemoth that is iPod. The concept is fantastic. It's just not marketed well enough to even be a threat.
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight