I got a PS3

Forum to discuss the Playstation family of consoles
R3V3N4N7

I got a PS3

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:46 pm

I got a PS3 for Christmas which I had no idea I was getting. I have Resistance Fall of Man and COD3. The thing is I was hoping for a Wii but no Wii. It's cool that I have one I guess but I really don't want it right now. What I'm trying to say is anyone want to play when I set it up?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:09 pm

Nice! Actually I have been watching what has been happening with the PS3 lately, and I am starting to regret getting rid of mine. I am sure I will have one in the next couple of months. The first thing I would do is download the GT HD demo, that thing looks awesome. You have to let me know what you think of that.

Also, Motorstorm looks awesome. The US version isn't coming out for a while, but the Japanese version is out (unfortunately, no multiplayer). One thing that is nice about the PS3 is that it is region free, so you can import stuff without worrying.

Have fun, and let us know your impressions. I initially had my doubts, but seeing some of the latest content on the PS3, I am sure it is going to be a fantastic system.

--Raz.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:29 pm

kool u finaly got a ps3 then i hope you have fun with it. After all your better if it cost 600$-700$
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

teal

Post by teal » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Make sure you check out the playstation store for the free download of Gran Turismo HD. It's only one track (with mirror) and 10 cars, but it's pretty decent. Although, I have to say it's very odd to play a racing game without rumble.
You'll love Resistance, I'm a big insomniac fan and thought they did a great job with the single player.

I'm still not completely sold on the multiplayer: it's a bit too fast-paced/arcade-ish for my tastes and you'll have to come up with your own usb or bluetooth headset for chat (the voice quality is really better than 360 though). But I have had some fun playing online.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Teal-

From what I have seen from the GT HD screenshots, etc. it looks amazing. When you are playing it, is it just as impressive? If so, the future looks very bright for the PS3. One thing I have read is that there is no damage model, and the background images are somewhat static (not rendered). That is something I am guessing they will fix with GT5.

--Raz.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:08 am

I'm glad I am able to experience both of the higher end consoles. Now only if I could satisfy my Zelda itch. :D :(

teal

Post by teal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Raz-

GT HD is very pretty, although, I wouldn't say that it's anything that the 360 couldn't do. There is no damage modeling and to be honest, I have a hard time even feeling any performance difference if I drive on the shoulder: the car seemed to handle/accelerate the same even with two tires off the road. Part of that could just be the lack of rumble but i swear the car acted the same on pavement or on the "dirt shoulder".

As a free download, GT HD is quite lovely... but it's got a long ways to go to be a full fledged release (which should be GT5 by that time).

Ah, as far as teh backgrounds go, the mountains and what not look like a 2d backdrop against the 3d world. It's pretty but the two seem to be at odds with each other to a certain degree.... The photorealistic mountains just clash with the rendered background.

and I know I've harped on this, but the lack of rumble really kills it for me.

Even after playing the GTHD, I'm much more excited for Forza 2. I'll definitely be picking that one up on day one, and probably with that lovely forcefeedback wheel as well.

-t.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People