To buy or not to buy?

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
Achilles

To buy or not to buy?

Post by Achilles » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:06 pm

Here's the story, I am a college student, so needless to say, and I’m on a very limited budget with very little income. I currently have a normal Xbox, which I love and play frequently. So my question is, with my limited budget I have yet to buy a Xbox 360. I have put it off due to lack of funds and now all I hear is people speaking of how amazing it is and the live arcade is very attractive to me. I have decided that I need to get one, should I get one now, or should I wait for the new 'package' deals that are rumored to be coming out? What do you think?

Also, if anyone has an extra 360 they would like to donate to me, let me know! :-)

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:56 am

That is a tough one.

I guess I would say that if you really want one, you should go ahead and get it now. The reason being, there is no guarantee Microsoft is going to have package deals. Also, to be honest, there hasn't been a whole lot of new titles for the 360. So, you can go on eBay and pick up some of the better titles fairly cheap. The Live-arcade titles are cheap as well.

The real draw to the 360 for me has been the community aspects. Being able to share high scores, playing multiplayer games, and the achievements.

If fact, I just picked up NCAA 2007 for the PSP. I have to say I am really impressed with the game. But, I am so used to my 360 that every time I do something that I think is "achievement worthy", I expect to see the little message popup to say I unlocked an achievement. Then, it hits me, "wait, this is the PSP version...".

I am really looking forward to some of the upcoming 360 games as well. Gears of War, Ninety-Nine Nights, and Saint's Row just to name a few. I think the upcoming year is going to be great for the 360 as we start to see the second generation of games...

--Chris.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 am

Alright. Good advice. Now that I have decided to get one, any suggestions on the best places to find a non core system for a good price?

Thanks!

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:34 am

Achilles,

I too was going to wait but I got to thinking, if I wait until then, what's going to stop me from waiting until the next upgrade? So I said screw it. 3 days ago I ordered the Xbox 360 Platinum package. Also picked up the wireless G adapter.

Oh, Raz0red...

Just give me a week or so on GW.....
Prepare to have hell unleashed upon thy bosom.....

Hehehehehe

Take care all,
SjN
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:36 am

iamsjn wrote:Oh, Raz0red...

Just give me a week or so on GW.....
Prepare to have hell unleashed upon thy bosom.....
I will be anxiously waiting. :D

Congrats on the 360, I look forward to competing with ya online.

--Chris.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:46 pm

i feel left behind as a xbox gamer :( every one is moving on so fast and im moving to slow
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:33 pm

The Brass wrote:i feel left behind as a xbox gamer :( every one is moving on so fast and im moving to slow
Don't worry Brass. You will probably get one just in time for the price drop and all the big names (Gears of War, Halo 3, etc.).

In the mean time, there are actually some pretty decent PSP games that are coming out soon.

--Raz.

Zilch

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Post by Zilch » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am

Achilles wrote:Here's the story, I am a college student, so needless to say, and I’m on a very limited budget with very little income. I currently have a normal Xbox, which I love and play frequently. So my question is, with my limited budget I have yet to buy a Xbox 360. I have put it off due to lack of funds and now all I hear is people speaking of how amazing it is and the live arcade is very attractive to me. I have decided that I need to get one, should I get one now, or should I wait for the new 'package' deals that are rumored to be coming out? What do you think?

Also, if anyone has an extra 360 they would like to donate to me, let me know! :-)
I know outpost.com has had 360s for $350 shipped recently. Also, a friend of mine picked one up at FYE for $360 after $40 rebate. In addition, there are sites running package deals that will save you $30 - $50 assuming you needed everything bundled in with the package.

I can tell you this, I have played my 360 every day since I purchased it back in late December so I think it's worth the purchase price. It really is a great console.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:08 pm

I have no doubt I will get my monies worth out of it. I play my xbox enough as it is, and I am sure with all the online features of the 360 I will play it that much more. Where I go to school, it is a 35+ minute drive to the closest game store, and if I can just download fun acarde type games for $5-$10, I am going to do that instead of spending the $15+ in gas money just to drive to pick up a disc for a game I might not like.

The hard part right now is just getting that $399 together all in one spot, ha, and then buying one.

msaeger

Post by msaeger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 pm

I wish they would make some games I like so I would have a reason to get one. The live arcarde stuff sounds neat but I can't stand to spend 400 dollars for that.