COD2 vs. Battlefield2

Forum to discuss the Xbox family of consoles
iamsjn

COD2 vs. Battlefield2

Post by iamsjn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Alright,
As I type this, my 360 is on a truck destined for my front door then ultimately to my hot little hands. I'd like a couple of games to start out with and Battlefield 1942 was always a favorite of mine on the PC. Yet, I've seen the trailers for Call Of Duty 2 and they look spectacular as well!

I don't want both games (yet), but would like some recommendations on what you guys think for a "first game purchase"

THANKS

Shawn
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:54 pm

COD2 gets my vote.

While Battlefield is fun, it isn't a port of the PC version. It is more of a port of the Xbox version (which lacks the planes, sigh...).

COD2 is very challenging, especially on the hardest level (the level you need to be on to get the achievements). They also did quite a bit of patching since the game came out, so I hear the multiplayer is pretty fun as well. I haven't tried it recently, but if you get it, I would be up for some online battles. I know Tom would probably be down for some as well.

--Chris.

teal

make that 2 votes for COD2

Post by teal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:37 pm

COD2 is really a terrific game. It's definitely got the best single player experience when compared to Perfect Dark Zero or even Ghost Recon (I stand by this!). I haven't played much of the multiplayer in a long time, but it is much improved after the patch. I wish I could have gotten into it more, but Halo 2 still has my vote for best multiplayer game on xbox/xbox 360. In all, I thought the multiplayer was solid even before the patch. They just had problems with their netcode which seems to be pretty polished now.

I haven't played the retail version of BF2, only the demo. I was very disappointed. It's nothing like the PC version, and as raz said, it's definitely a port of the xbox version with a very thin layer new paint on it.

Also, the sound in COD2 definitely pushes the game over the top. If your setup includes a surround system with a subwoofer, I highly recommend turning it up to 11.

Buy COD2 and download the demo for BF2.
Visit the Working Gamer Podcast
Gaming News and Commentary for Real People

iamsjn

Post by iamsjn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Sounds like you guys sold me on COD2!!!
I'm glad I asked the question. I'll be picking that up this weekend so I'll be ready for the grand arrival...

And Teal, it just so happens that I've got a nice 5.1 DTS sound system handy. So, can I expect to have mortar rounds flying over my head?

Thanks guys for the advice!!
"Death & Dreck You Curse!!!"
- The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 am

My vote goes for BF2. CoD2 is a fantastic game and wins hands down on single player. However, I prefer BF2 for online play. BF2 has different classes of characters and vehicles each with differing abilities. While there are no airplanes on the 360 version there are helicopters. I find myself having a lot more fun in BF2 because CoD2 feels like a vanilla FPS shooter to me (puts on flame retardant suit) Plus, there is nothing like strapping a bunch of C4 packs to a jeep and launcing it into a tank or group of enemies.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:33 pm

Zilch wrote:My vote goes for BF2. CoD2 is a fantastic game and wins hands down on single player. However, I prefer BF2 for online play. BF2 has different classes of characters and vehicles each with differing abilities. While there are no airplanes on the 360 version there are helicopters. I find myself having a lot more fun in BF2 because CoD2 feels like a vanilla FPS shooter to me (puts on flame retardant suit) Plus, there is nothing like strapping a bunch of C4 packs to a jeep and launcing it into a tank or group of enemies.
I am sure you are right about the multiplayer. I haven't played much multiplayer on COD2, and that was before they had distributed the new patches. I guess what I really liked about the COD2 single player game was just the feel I got when playing it (the sound, the graphics, the screen size, etc.). It was an experience that I have never been able to achieve on a PC FPS. I also liked how hard it is to accomplish the achievements. When you actually get one, you truly feel like you have been through a war.

I probably should have also mentioned that I do play BF2 multiplayer on the PC from time to time (I own it). So, BF2 on the Xbox 360 to me felt like a sort of downgrade w/ the lack of planes, etc. But, if I didn't play it on the PC, the 360 version would look pretty good.

I see you are playing Gun. How do you like it? I actually liked it quite a bit on the Xbox, even though it was a bit short. I wouldn't mind playing through it again on the 360, but I have heard the graphics aren't much of an upgrade. How is it?

--Raz.

Zilch

Post by Zilch » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:29 pm

BF2 online is a good mix between an arcade style shooter and a tactical one. It's fast paced but really does require teamwork to win consistantly. The microphone issues before the patch REALLY made it difficult to do this. Truth be told, the mic does occasionally still act up but it's not often. You can certainly tell which team is working together and which one has everyone running around without a goal.

I think Gun is a pretty good game. The graphics are in fact poorly done for the 360 but the game itself is fun. I just joined an online rental service so I am going through and renting all the games I wanted to try but didn't want to purchase in the past. I never played the Xbox version so I can't really compare it. I'd say rent it if you are interested in giving it a try again. At least this time around you will get achievements for your effort. Now If I was only good enough to actually hit something with a bow I could get the Hunter achievement.

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:48 pm

I love COD2. BF2 is meant to be played on a PC. It's the best on that platform.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:48 pm

conter-strike rules all :twisted:
OL' DIRTY BASTARD

R3V3N4N7

Post by R3V3N4N7 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:38 pm

I don't like CS. It's too much of the same.

The Brass

Post by The Brass » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:47 pm

how can u dis conter strike shame on u :evil:
OL' DIRTY BASTARD