Wii2600

A forum to discuss Wii homebrew development.
raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Ebf18 wrote: I just tried it and it works great, but I did notice some sound skipping with you load up Starmaster. I like that I don't see any slow downs when running Asteroid or Frogger which can be noticed in Stellawii.
Interesting, I will check it out.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 am

Ebf18 wrote: I just tried it and it works great, but I did notice some sound skipping with you load up Starmaster. I like that I don't see any slow downs when running Asteroid or Frogger which can be noticed in Stellawii.
I believe I have resolved the audio issue.

Check out the initial post in this thread to get the current "preview" build.

Thanks for testing and reporting that.

--Raz.
Last edited by raz0red on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ebf18

Post by Ebf18 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:10 am

raz0red wrote:
I believe I have resolved the audio issue. You can downloaded the updated binary via the following link:

Check out the initial post in this thread to get the current "preview" build.

Thanks for testing and reporting that.

--Raz.
Works like a charm now :)

munky6

Post by munky6 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 am

I discovered this the first day you did a release, and I gotta say THANK YOU SIR! You do us long time 2600 fans proud !

I also volunteer for specific testing, I have a complete NTSC library (including homebrews) installed on my SD card. I was messing with it with Stellawii but wasn't very satisfied, with this one I'm blown away.

Specific features I would request would be:

1. Allow screenshots in the ROM browser... I haven't found a way to do this yet, but it does work in Stellawii. I'm not sure if ROM browser resolution changes when you set it differently, I think that may be why the screenshots don't show up.

2. Add the ability to map the Nunchuk controller to Joystick 2. I want to be able to play Raiders of the Lost Ark wirelessly, plus there are a few other games that use both controllers at once.

3. Allow mapping of analog sticks (Nunchuk / Gamecube controller / Classic controller) to paddles. This way, the user can play paddle games without needing to be near enough to the TV to have the IR sensor pick up the sensor bar.

I will check this forum daily and look forward to upcoming releases!

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 am

munky6 wrote:I discovered this the first day you did a release, and I gotta say THANK YOU SIR! You do us long time 2600 fans proud !

I also volunteer for specific testing, I have a complete NTSC library (including homebrews) installed on my SD card. I was messing with it with Stellawii but wasn't very satisfied, with this one I'm blown away.

Specific features I would request would be:

1. Allow screenshots in the ROM browser... I haven't found a way to do this yet, but it does work in Stellawii. I'm not sure if ROM browser resolution changes when you set it differently, I think that may be why the screenshots don't show up.

2. Add the ability to map the Nunchuk controller to Joystick 2. I want to be able to play Raiders of the Lost Ark wirelessly, plus there are a few other games that use both controllers at once.

3. Allow mapping of analog sticks (Nunchuk / Gamecube controller / Classic controller) to paddles. This way, the user can play paddle games without needing to be near enough to the TV to have the IR sensor pick up the sensor bar.

I will check this forum daily and look forward to upcoming releases!
Thanks for the great feedback! I would really appreciate the help testing.

I am in the process of working on a release that has improved controller support. I currently have analog controls for Classic and GameCube working for both paddles and normal joystick. I have improved the Wiimote motion support for paddles as well. Once my Stelladaptor arrives I am going to add support for that device (which allows use of original Atari joysticks and paddles).

Using the Nunchuck as a second joystick should be easy, I will add that in today.

Not sure about the preview images, I will take a look at that tonight and let you know what I find.

Assuming my Stelladaptor arrives today or tomorrow, expect a preview release with the new controls support by Wednesday night.

Thanks a lot.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:57 am

munky6 wrote: 2. Add the ability to map the Nunchuk controller to Joystick 2. I want to be able to play Raiders of the Lost Ark wirelessly, plus there are a few other games that use both controllers at once.
I was just thinking about this and got to wondering. It seems like it would make more sense to map this to the Second analog of the classic and GameCube controllers. It seems that holding the Wiimote (for use of its d-pad) at that same time as the nunchuck could be quite awkward. What do you think?

Also, which games (besides Indy) use two joysticks? Just want to determine which controls will work best for the majority of them.

Thanks again.

--Raz.

munky6

Post by munky6 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am

Well I figure in with the nunchuk attached, you would hold the wiimote upright, using A as the joystick button.

I checked my ROM set, so far it seems Raiders of the Lost Ark is the only one using both joysticks for a single player, but there might be a couple more that I missed, I'm not sure.

Speaking of the second joystick, I think it would be good to add the ability for wiimote 2 to be mapped to joystick 2, or to have the gamecube controller in port 2 mapped to joystick 2. If wiimote 2 is working fine, I have no way to know, as I only have one wiimote at the moment.

What would be easier than that, I think, is to allow the user to set input however they want, and be able to receive input from all buttons / sticks on the gamecube contoller or nunchuk. Maybe map them to unused keys on the keyboard.

Stella on the PC has an option that it uses in parallel with mouse support for paddle control... you can also use the digital pad / key control to move the paddle, and you can change the tracking speed by going to Input Settings -> Virtual Devs tab -> Paddle speed. Can you implement this in Wii2600?

Also, could you add an option to map up and down movement of the wiimote pointer to paddle 2? That way you could (try to) play Marble Craze.

For screenshots, Stella seems to need minimum 640x480 resolution for the ROM launcher, otherwise it will only display the list with no info or screenshot. When I manually try to tell the ROM launcher to go any larger than the default, it saves, but the screen resolution does not change.

One hopefully easily fixable bug is that when you go into Game Properties / Controllers, if you set "swap paddles" to yes, the option saves in the properties, but the joysticks do not switch ports. I needed this option to play the one player game variations in Air Sea Battle, and the ROM properties do not have the joystick in port 2 as default.

Another bug that seems to be consistent with Stellawii and Wii2600 both, is that the game Bumper Bash does not work properly. On the PC version of Stella, I was able to get the ball to launch by quickly alternating between pressing left and right, but on the wii whether using gamecube controller or wiimote, the ball simply doesn't launch. I'm not entirely certain what is causing this.

Thanks again for the work on this!

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 am

munky6 wrote: Speaking of the second joystick, I think it would be good to add the ability for wiimote 2 to be mapped to joystick 2, or to have the gamecube controller in port 2 mapped to joystick 2. If wiimote 2 is working fine, I have no way to know, as I only have one wiimote at the moment.
This should already be working in both cases. Please let me know if the GC in port 2 isn't working for you.

--Raz.

munky6

Post by munky6 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Confirmed, gamecube controller in port 2 is working fine for joystick 2. I wonder why I didn't notice that before...

TheChief

(Re-)activating the stella-debugger in Wii2600

Post by TheChief » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 am

Hi raz0red,

first i wanna say thank you very very much for this absolute great work!!!
I love my Wii, but 20 years before i loved my Atari 2600 jr.! :lol:
Still got my original one at home!

Well, now i have a question / suggestion:

Yesterday i played around with the pc version of stella and with the integrated debugger...
...hacked some games, just for fun, made my game character unkillable... :wink:

And today i tried to do the same on the wii (Wii2600) but when i try to activate the debugger
i only get the information, that the debugger is unsupported (yet). :cry:

Do you think we have a chance to implement the debugger of stella on the Wii2600?

If i can help in any way please let me know, it will be great fun for me to do some 6502 / 6507 hacking again...
...20 years later... :D

Thanks a lot again!

---TheChief

munky6

Post by munky6 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:57 am

On a related question, will you be implementing .CHT file support?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:22 am

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I have been very busy at work, then my hard drive at home failed (argh!). Anyway, I have it all up and running now. I will try to get an update to 2600 out this weekend. All of the features you guys have mentioned are on my list to get to, please keep the feedback coming.

--Raz.

bootsector

Post by bootsector » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Raz!

Looking forward to play with the final 0.2 release! ;)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

bootsector

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:03 pm

bootsector wrote:Hi Raz!

Looking forward to play with the final 0.2 release! ;)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

bootsector
Sorry about the long delay between updates. I am currently in crunch mode at work preparing for an upcoming conference. Hopefully I will get some time in over the next week and release 0.2.

--Raz.

munky6

Post by munky6 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:25 am

Welcome back!
I was thinking something had crashed for you... good thing it wasn't your car! Thanks for continuing, when u release I'll dive in and test like mad.