Wii wish list

Forum to discuss the Nintendo family of consoles
Achilles

Wii wish list

Post by Achilles » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Things I wish Nintendo would add or implement into the Wii in the coming months.

* Demos of virtual console games, especially the $10 games. Too much for a game when I can't play it and only get a few screenshots. I know I can play it on the old system or get an emulation, but I bought a Wii partly for VC, so I want that feature.

* Ability for my Wii friends to see if I am online and what games I am playing. This would be similar to the 360's feature.

* Better playback features in the Photo channel for MP3's and videos on my SD cards.

Those are the three things I can think of right now that I would really want in the system, it is still great and I would never trade it in, I would just like a few more things.

Thoughts?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:36 pm

Those are good ones. Some of mine include:

* Readily available component cables.

* The ability to set brightness (gamma, etc.) in games, or even better in the dashboard. Zelda's color bars and instructions to tweak settings on your television annoy me.

* The ability to turn off the console from the remote (I can only seem to put it into sleep mode), any ideas about how to do this?

* Sleep mode that allows resuming in game. Whenever I come out of sleep mode (Wifi, or whatever), I land in the dashboard. It would be cool if it would just resume the game from where you triggered the sleep mode.

* All games must support widescreen (some currently don't).

* A remote sensor bar (battery operated, not attached by a cable)

* Digital sound via coaxial or fiber-optic

* Removing the lame console numbering system

* Allow multiple saves for a single game on a memory stick (I couldn't get this to work either)

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 pm

raz0red wrote:
* The ability to turn off the console from the remote (I can only seem to put it into sleep mode), any ideas about how to do this?
I didn't even know that the console could go into sleep mode. I just hold down the red power button on the Wiimote and it shuts off each time. How do you get it to go into sleep mode?

As for the others, I have to agree with most. Although the visual/audio enchantments dont' really bother me right now, I don't own an HDTV yet, but I do have good surround system, but for my Wii I'm not worried about those kinds of things, I want games that are fun and different to play. I don't want developers spending all their time on how good the game looks or sounds and less on how much fun and innovative it can be. But that's just me.
raz0red wrote: * A remote sensor bar (battery operated, not attached by a cable)

* Removing the lame console numbering system

I have to think Nintendo or a third party company is already in the process of putting out a wireless sensor bar, I dont' think Nintendo expected people to rip apart the system that fast and figure it all out so quickly. But I don't see that too far off.

Finally the Friends Codes, I agree, is totally lame. But it is in place for the same reasons as the DS, parents don't want their kids exposed to the same people that played Halo and Halo 2 year ago. The kind that sit and swear and yell and are just vulgar. I know if I was a parent I would not want my kids being exposed to that all the time. With the friends codes they can play with them, but not hear them. Although a mute point right now, as no multiplayer games are even out.

/rant

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:42 pm

If you are turning it off via the remote, that is putting it into sleep mode. This is indicated by the LED on the Wii being yellow. When it is in this state, it is still connected to Wifi, etc. and is capable of retrieving/sending Miis and mail. If you receive mail the disk slot on the Wii will glow a blue color.

One problem with this is that my Wii is in an enclosed cabinet and will get hot if left on all the time (in sleep mode). So, I have to manually go to it and hold the power button down until the LED is red.

--Raz.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Just as a side note, I received your Mii. Did you receive my wife's Mii? For some reason, some of my friends weren't able to receive her.

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:37 pm

I am not sure, which one is your wife's Mii? What is the name, I have almost 100 Mii's on my system now.

I didn't realize that was sleep mode, mine is always in that, ha. I just checked it and it's barely warm at all, maybe yours heats up a bit too much?

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:55 pm

Yeah, her Mii is, "Amy".

It doesn't get super hot, but it is a bit warm. Warmer than I want it to be when it is on all the time. However, it is nothing like the 360's heat. :D

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:11 am

I think I got your wife, she was in my Mii parade. Name is Amy with brown/redish hair and a green shirt?

When I read your last post I thought you were talking about your wife, saying she doesn't get super hot, but a bit warm. I was all confused on that. It's too late over here, I should be in bed.

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:47 am

Hah, no, you must have multiple Amys. She has blonde hair. :D

--Raz.

LimitZer0

Post by LimitZer0 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:10 pm

I wish I could buy a Wii... Every few days I call a bunch of stores within 30 miles and nobody ever has it. Where did you guys get yours?

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:33 pm

I sat in front of a Toys R Us for 10 hours launch night to get mine.

:-)

raz0red
Site Admin

Post by raz0red » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:49 pm

I can't reveal my source.. :D

Actually, I will tell the whole sorted story on the next podcast. It involved PS3s, Wiis, etc. etc.

Target got a bunch last weekend (Sun morning). I went in and they still had about 10 available. If I get another heads up here, I will post here immediately. I would guess that about every Sun from here until Christmas, Target will be getting shipments.

--Raz.

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:11 pm

Ok I think I found your wife. Blonde hair, pink shirt named Amy.